Wednesday, March 25, 2020

The Art of Keeping Your Brain Cells During Social Distancing



Dear Sisters in Christ,

Mental health is so important. And, right now, with the issues with COVID-19, and social isolation, people may begin to suffer more with mental health issues.


Mental health is a personal struggle for me. I struggle with Depression and Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. These issues tend to become worse if I am in a situation where I am isolated for too long. I may be an introvert, but I definitely need my people.

So, I decided this would be a very helpful article to write for myself and for others who find themselves in the same situation. I got some information out in the internet world, and from Facebook about ways in which to help keep our minds in a good head space.

If you have mental health issues, please take it seriously and take care of yourself at this time. Be diligent about practicing self-care.


Keep yourself busy.

Overwhelmingly, this was the number one thing that was said on Facebook. People are just generally finding more time for hobbies and such. And, I agree. For me, This time really gives me time to focus on doing more with my blog, art projects, and reading. For some, people were saying that they were taking up new hobbies.


No, dust collecting doesn't count as a new hobby.


When you can stay focused on different things that you enjoy, it can do great things for the brain. Art, even if you’re not good at it, can be very therapeutic (1.) Try coloring, doodling, painting, or even finger paint with the kiddos. Get messy and just enjoy it.


“I’m taking time to create, which I don’t get to do often with 3 kids. I’ve been doing a big paint by number and crocheting.”- Valerie M.


Keep a routine, and take care of yourself
I know. You’re off work and you kind of see this as a massive staycation; so of course you want to catch some extra Zzz’s. It’s okay to sleep in a little. However, whenever things get back to normal, you might be paying for it by staying up until cockadoodle doo O’clock in the morning each night. You’re going to have a hard time getting back into a schedule.

(Also, I’ve found that having an erratic sleep schedule makes me feel like someone dropped an anvil on my head.)






And girl, when you aren’t sleeping well, you are not going to be any good for anybody, including yourself. When you hit PMS, or your period, you’re probably going to be a nightmare and a half. Go. To. Bed. Do yourself and those you love a favor by getting those 7+ hours of sleep.

Not only that, but get up, make your bed, shower, and get dressed. Make yourself look at least half-way presentable. Having a routine helps create a sense of balance and normalcy, and can reduce anxiety. (2.) Sitting in your PJs and bed-head all day is a sure-fire way to encourage depressive symptoms and thoughts.

I know for me, I love getting dressed up and feeling feminine. Putting on a pretty dress, making my hair look nice, putting on my A Thousand Wishes body spray, and wearing a sparkly necklace makes me feel so good. 

Maybe even take some time to put an outfit together for the next day. Let yourself get excited at the prospect of the outfit you’re going to wear when you get up. Wear something that puts a grin on your face. Embrace your femininity and let it overflow.

Also, exercise. Exercise releases feel-good hormones, as does being outside. It has been proven scientifically that consistent exercise is good for depression and anxiety disorders. And, no, you don’t have to do a million burpees (Really, ew) to get this effect. All you really need is to do some basic yoga or even taking a walk out in nature. (Yes, you can leave your house, unless authorities say otherwise.) 

I love taking walks outside. Other than swimming or doing an elliptical (yes, this ball of fluff surprisingly likes ellipticals.) I have to say that yoga or walking are my favorite forms of exercise. They really clear my head, and feel more calm and at ease. I love listening to the birds sing, seeing spider-webs sparkle in the sun, and hearing the breeze against the foliage. I love getting to bring my dog with me and enjoy her company as well.

“Making sure I’m still making my bed, getting ready first thing in the morning, cleaning the house, doing my hair-even though I won’t see anyone but my family-mainly just keeping a routine and having goals so that I won’t fall into a depression.”-Michelle N.


“Exercise! I do a 20-30 minute home workout video from BeachBody....Physical activity makes my brain feel better anyway, and moving my body keeps me from sitting still all day long.” -Caroline B.



Spend Extra Time With your Pets

It’s also been proven that animals have a great impact on mental health. Also, if you don’t have kids, it can give you a sense of satisfaction for caring for something. They have a calming effect on people. Animals are great at sensing their owner’s emotions. (3)

I know for me, my dog senses when I am upset or sad. She gets more clingy with me, and tries to lick my face more. When I can pet her or snuggle with her, it definitely helps me to ground and calm me down. She is pretty much my emotional support animal.




Video Chat and Phone Calls

Whether or not you identify as an introvert, we need to be interacting with one another. With so many churches cancelling regular services and switching to livestream, (or doing nothing at all) it can be hard to get that social interaction we need.

Despite me being an introvert, if I get too cut off from people, I wilt. My mental health starts to go down hill. Being able to chat with loved ones is truly cathartic for me, either through text or through video chat or phone. Seeing a text of encouragement from someone I love really lifts my spirits (one of my love languages is Words of Affirmation after all). 



“I like to video chat with people. I’ve been in the habit of video chatting my sister for a while but I’m also messaging other people and sending distractions.” -Christina M.

“Praying a lot, staying closely connected to family, checking on church family and praying some more!”-Donna L.


Turn off the stinkin’ news

Yes. You heard me. One of the number one things that I saw in articles about mental health in this situation was to stop monitoring the news so much. ESPECIALLY our American media that thrives and makes money off of scaring people. It’s not doing anybody a bit of good to hear every horror story that comes out about COVID-19.

Is the situation bad? Yes. Yes it is. But, there are also good things going on. Focus on that instead. Watch funny animal videos (there is this absolutely darling Peekaboo Cockatoo video you must see), watch Disney +, watch The Office. Whatever you do, just stop focusing on the news so much.





It’s one thing to pay attention to local news sources about the situation in your area, or to check once or twice a week on the situation. I get it, we want to know what is going on. But spending so much time worrying about the situation will hurt you more than help you. It’s important to realize that, if you’re not careful, your obsession and anxiety about the situation could become an idol.

God has asked us not to worry. Pray, use wisdom, listen to the experts, practice social distancing, and wash your stinkin’ hands. That’s what you have to do right now. So do it, and quit worrying about the worst possible outcome. That never does anybody any good. (Matthew 6:25-34.)



Lastly, Invest in Your Spiritual Life

Right now, this is probably the absolute best thing we can possibly do. Sing hymns and worship songs. Sit down and read your bible. Read a study book. Spend an hour in prayer pouring out your heart to God and every little thing you’re feeling and struggling with. Make art based on scriptures you’re reading. Participate in online studies. Join a facebook group based on spiritual encouragement. (Some friends and I run a facebook group called Sister Keepers if you are interested.)

Use this time to really deepen your relationship with God. Put aside the video games, the streaming, and whatever else for a certain amount of time every day just to commune with God. Take advantage of it, and see how much deeper God can bring you in your faith. Try to see this as a great opportunity to really dig in and connect with Him better.



We’ll get through this. It won’t be forever.

Love,

Chelsea





------


References

1. https://www.inquirer.com/health/coronavirus/coronavirus-mental-health-social-distancing-20200319.html

2. https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/the-gen-y-psy/201810/the-power-routines-in-your-mental-health

3. https://www.mentalhealth.org.uk/a-to-z/p/pets-and-mental-health

4.https://www.health.com/condition/infectious-diseases/coronavirus/social-distancing-mental-health

No comments:

Post a Comment

You Will Be Found

Dear Reader, May is mental health awareness month. I’ve talked about it before here on my blog, but my mental health journey has been a long...