Tuesday, August 4, 2020

Fruit of the Spirit: Joy

Dear Sisters in Christ,

I have had more times in my life than I can count where I have felt completely broken. I've lost a parent who struggled with addiction. I was bullied as a child. I've lost friends. I have had my heart broken. I've struggled with mental health issues. I've had rocky relationships with loved ones. I've made terrible decisions that cost me greatly. 

The list could go on and on. My life has not been easy.

When you hit low points, sometimes it can be hard to find happiness, and it can feel as if you will never find it again. With how difficult life can be, it is easy to wonder how to actually have 'joy' as a fruit of the spirit.

Life is hard. 

Dictionary.com defines Joy in this way: "the emotion of great delight or happiness caused by something exceptionally good or satisfying; keen pleasure; elation..."

And, due to that definition, I think that is where we miss the mark on what biblical joy is. 

Friend, let me tell you: Biblical joy isn't about feeling elatedly happy all the time. Due to the nature of our broken world, that is impossible. So stop putting irrational pressure on yourself to walk around like a dopey Cheshire cat.

Walt Disney Company


Let's talk about the Apostle Paul. He endured many hardships following after Christ. Here's a list of some of the things he went through:

-Imprisonment
-Regret over causing others to suffer
-Whippings/beatings
-Shipwrecks
-Insomnia
-Division/Perils
-Hunger/Thirst
-Cold/Nakedness

(1 Corinthians 11:23-28)

And also, probably much more that isn't mentioned. Paul also mentions having a "thorn in the flesh" (2 Corinthians 12:7-10). We aren't entirely sure what said thorn was. Paul doesn't tell us. However, what we do know was that it was something that caused him much emotional distress.

He begged God to take away the problem. However, when it came down to it, God said no. God told Paul that "...my grace is sufficient for you, and my strength is made perfect in weakness." (vs. 9). Paul accepted God's word to him on the issue. Then he says, "...therefore I am content with weaknesses, with insults, with troubles, with persecutions, and difficulties for the sake of Christ, for whenever I am weak, therefore I am strong." (vs. 10)



In James 1:2, James talks about how facing trials forces us to grow and get stronger. He says there is great joy to be found in that fact. We can look at difficult times and know that, God is walking through with us and that He is our strength (Psalm 46:1-3, Proverbs 18:10). Joy comes when we can look at a situation and know beyond a shadow of a doubt that our God has got us. No matter what the future holds, even with things get dark, we can be content and know that things will be okay. (Philippians 4:11-13.)

Joy is a light, a candle in the darkness. With the Holy Spirit in us, it stays lit no matter what comes. We may feel hurt, but that spark can keep us going. 



To conclude, Joy is contentment regardless of our circumstances. It also holds hands with the fruits of Peace and Hope, which carry us through whatever we may face (which we will discuss at later times.)

If you're having trouble finding Joy today, I hope that this helps you find at least a little to carry you through.

Love,

Chelsea.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You Will Be Found

Dear Reader, May is mental health awareness month. I’ve talked about it before here on my blog, but my mental health journey has been a long...